Monday, February 7, 2011

AKG K601 Review!


Moving up in price from the m50's, but these are still well in the price range of anyone looking for a nice "mid-fi" pair of cans!


  • ~250$
  • Open-Back Dynamic Design
  • 45mm NdFe Driver
  • 12-39,500 Hz Frequency Response
  • 11' Cable
  • Comes with a 3.5mm -> 1/4' Jack Adapter

Comfort 

This headphone should certainly cause you no problems with of an hour or two's worth of straight listening, if not more. The velour ear pads are soft, and clamping force is quite light. This has some drawback, as moving your head forwards too far can result in the headphone slipping a bit, and vigorous head-banging on any axis will move it easily, but this should be little issue for most users. The headband is just a flat piece of leather, and I have found it to cause some pressure discomfort over long wearing periods, but usually a slight repositioning will fix the problem for while on top of that.

Sound 

Bass is where this headphone will be criticized most. While it extends fairly well, the impact can be put to question; when a recording gives you bass impact, the K601 usually comes out with it, but it can fall short sometimes, especially when a recording has been a little reserved in terms of bass response. It certainly won't suit the "bass head" type of listener.

Mid range is frankly superb, and the best part of the headphone's sound. Open and expansive, but somewhat lush at the same time, it really involves you. However, this comes with some penalty; there is some fuzz on the side of instruments, taking that clear edge off what you'd expect from reference headphones, and it can get a bit muddled depending on how many different sounds are thrown at it. Nonetheless, it still has a good deal of clarity and separation considering the headphone sits more in the "mid-fi" category.

While most describe the K601's treble as "non-fatiguing", this is not entirely true; where a recording has a tipped treble, you'll certainly notice it with this headphone. That being said, it's definitely not intrusive for the most part, and you shouldn't find your ears feeling really tired out after a good listening session with the K601. Again, as with the mid range, you lose that clear edge and more refined detail of a reference headphone, but the headphone is by no means lackluster in terms of over-all detail.

The K601 has a fairly wide sound-stage and sports an airy sound. Instruments will have good separation and positioning where recorded, though there is still a sense that things could be a little more accurate.

Personal Notes

This headphone is orientated for home usage, but you'll find portable players and low grade sound cards don't really do it justice, resulting in a lack of flesh and impact to the bass and treble especially. Pair it with a "mid-fi" source and amplifier, and it'll really supply you with some great audio. :)

Summary

Over all, the K601 performs well with several types of music, responds well to good equipment, and offers great comfort, all at a reasonable enough price.

PS!

This is slightly longer than the first review I did, but I enjoy these headphones so.. I took my time writing this.  Let me know in the comments if you'd rather have short and concise reviews or long in-depth reviews, thanks!



46 comments:

Veno said...

I don't mind short or long reviews, but I think yet again I will wait for more reviews before purchasing a pair for myself...

Unknown said...

Great review of a great set of headphones, keep it up man.

Frit said...

Those are some sexy headphones

Anonymous said...

these look like some nice headphones

Tols said...

look awsome ty for the post

tgquagmire said...

good headphones can make or break a song

Anonymous said...

damn thos look sick

GADAFINY said...

bad ass headphones bro
supporting

IanFromLastNight said...

Ugh, I would get them, but the price is a tad too steep for me atm.

Mike said...

those are really nice!! i wonder how many do you own by now.

Anonymouse said...

good review, now following.

Teutorix said...

Long in-depth reviews, are the best reviews, it's perfectly understandable if there is not enough time to make them.
Cool blog, following.
Check my blog too:
http://pixelshredder.blogspot.com

Toto said...

nice!
followed!

http://all-around-toto.blogspot.com/

shadi said...

very nice headphone and looks comfortable

Kicking Rocks said...

those head phones would look good on me... I WANT!

following and supporting
ggc151.blogspot.com

Garth said...

these looks so nice, I'd love to have a pair

lovebloggin said...

great review! thank you very much

Zakk said...

I like your blog, I'll be following :)

rjimmy said...

dam they look awesome I only have the turtlebeach px21 poorfag lol

Anonymous said...

Headphones are seriously what determine if the song is good or not haha

Neuro said...

Wow what a detailed review, thanks mate!

Double C said...

Good stuff... thanks for posting, I needed a Valentine's Day gift idea!

Anonymous said...

dude if i had the money i would totally buy these. but i dont. so i continue to drool and stare till than

philthycanuck said...

Do a youtube review

donga5000 said...

Those look amazing, wish I had a set!

rocknrollcrazy said...

well i'm still getting a good feel for my Roland RH-50's but i'll definatley go check these out if i want to get a better set of headphones :-)

spaceman said...

Cool man, can definitely use a headphone review blog.

Followin; sweet stuff.

Unknown said...

mommy! i want one!!! x3

Doc_Waffles said...

Very well done review. Nice job

jonwinters said...

always looking for good headphones other than the obvious senn's. thanks!

Layman Researcher said...

I want those

Warlaw said...

I've been looking for some quality headphones for awhile now. My little iPod ear buds hurt like a mother after a certain amount of time wearing them. I'd buy the headphones you described in a second if I could afford them haha.

eHoarder said...

Damn I need a new set of headphones

Lenny said...

nice!
i need a new headset :S
following!
http://le-nerd.blogspot.com/

Brut said...

Wow they look great!

Jblogger said...

great review!

RP said...

these look great...but a bit costly for me :(

MVHolcomb said...

Is it really worth the 250 bucks? I mean even for an audiophile mid-range headphones for 250, nah man that aint me

Kai-Rin said...

Enjoyed the review thanks alot man was pretty cool stuff

Mac said...

@MVHolcomb I have 1400 dollar headphones, so these are pretty nice for 250. Price for a mid-range pair of cans is very broad.

rickysha said...

Thanks, interested in picking up a pair of new headphones.

AS said...

They seem really good... but I don't think I could ever justify spending that much, lol. D:

baka1236 said...

they look so so comfortable...

The Governor said...

sweet pair of 'phones I like akg stuff

Amoxichillin said...

ill stick wit my TB X11s

l33 v4n cl33f said...

and ill stick to my beats

Post a Comment